Monday, May 11, 2009

More Conversations with the cook

Cook: I am planning to buy a data card.

I take a look at his cell, which though is superior nokia model, colour display, polyphonic tone, and some memory in it, unlike my black and white primitive phone.

Me: There is no slot for a data card

Cook: I am planning to buy one.

Me: what the hell. There is no slot for a data card and you will buy one to fix to your phone.

Cook: No, you have a cable no, with which you can connect my phone to your computer.

Me: So you mean data cord.

The dude is from Orissa and pronunciation is a communicable disease. The Bengalis have had their influence.

Cook: Whatever you want to call it. I can store 1 mitti of songs in this.

Me: What do you mean by mitti

Cook: That only no...

Me: Gigabyte

Cook: No

Me: Terabyte

Cook: No

Me: Pascal

Cook: No

Me: picofarad

Cook: NO

Sensing his rising temper, I give him his answer.

Me: Megabyte, MB

Cook: Yes.

Finally I win something, and have the triumphant look of the rana who is riding on his chetak back to his wives after winning in a battle. He catches my look and gives a look, which to me means, “ Remember, I am the one who cooks your food, so better watch out”.

The only example of alankars I remember from school days is one from atishoykti. Aage nadiya badi appar, chetak kaise utre par, rana ne socha is paar, tab tak chetak tha us par. Ok I was lying, I remember a lot many, but have forgotten which alankar is used where. Maa, mohe chand khilona lehon. Mala pherat fir gaya, phira na man ka pher, darka manka dari de, manka manka fer.

My Hindi teacher is a very pound woman today.

Another day. Another act.

Me: So you bought the cord?

Cook: No, I went to a shop and they are selling at 150 bucks, and I want it for 100

Me: what do you know which shop to go.

Cook: I know all shops in Bangalore, big and small, and more than you do.

My height has reduced by 2 inches, and I change the topic.

Me: So, what do you want transferred to your phone.

Cook: photos

Me: Whose photo?

Cook: The photos of gods and goddesses.

Goddesses yes, gods, I doubt, but whatever suits him. 

1 comment:

Niti said...

I like Your cook..n m impressed with your hindi Gyan..

wasnt it "mala ferat jug bhaya" btw??

Followers