Sunday, July 01, 2007

Patjhad hai Kuch...Hai na

Sometimes you have to write, because you have to write.

Update from Mumbai is that Global Warming has finally arrived and the city is drowning.Also it is not so easy to find a job post your MBA.

One of the customers called me to his residence on the 15th floor of a posh Mumbai locality, Napean Sea Road, to discuss some details, and before i could gather what was happening he and his wife, mostly his wife slammed me for asking them some customary details. It is one thing to listen to a customer yelling on the phone..you can always tell. Hello...Hello...(Is there any body in there?, Yes Pink Floyd) and cut the phone. the aforesaid incident,another.

Also if the customer is yelling at you in a face to face interaction , even then you can try to pacify him by using some statagem. But when it is a lady in her mid 50's, who is yelling at you , you cann't take it. Believe me you cann't. I was sitting on the 15th floor with a king size window behind me, and the only idea doing rounds in my mind was..Shit why did i not tie my parachute around today. Had i done done , beleive me, I would have jumped. 2 hours was the duration of them (2 people, Bless their kids, they did not join in) slamming me.

After i get out of their flat , I call my boss. Capital error. Then i call another client, he says he needs time to think if he wants to take the Loan (Technically an unsecured overdraft)which we are offering.I call my boss again. Slam . Bang @#$%. Go and meet HIM.

HE needs time to think, and while he is thinking (Actually buying time, even he knows the biggest evil in our lives are month ends) how the hell can i meet HIM.

For some duration i just walk the streets, roaming aimlessly, pitying myself at what my life has come to. After some more time i buzz a friend. Lunch?. Bang comes the reply "I am in a meeting". The next time someone says that to you , clear your throat and yell , LIAR.

Of all the phrases i hate in this blasted corporate world, the above one takes the Gold. Not Gold plated Brass, pure 24-carat Gold.

But since he is my friend and i don't expect him to at least lie to me, i don't clear my throat.

He later calls back and takes me to lunch at a far off place.(15 min walk on top of a 45 min aimless walk is a pain) I have a perfunctory lunch and as has become my habit of late, i don't finish it. Now I go to churchgate station and sit there in the company of an octogenarian. Both of us makhi maring.

Later ,HE says that he is still not free, so I have to wait for more. And then a lightining. OXFORD.Not the UK wala dear. The bookshop near churchgate which i often visit to find the MRP on books before buying the pirated copies from the footpath at fort. That helps calculate the opportunity cost , or by how much am i stealing the author and his/her publisher.

The only good thing of the day, i run into a school friend at oxford. We meet again after 10 years.10 years incidentally represents 40 % of my total existence on this planet.Of fuck! Why did i do an MBA.

A cool 2 hours are spent at oxford trying to read that Mitch Albom or somebody who keeps minting books like: 5 people you meet in heaven etc. The one i was trying to read at oxford was about the baseball player who tries to end his life. Anyways ,curse the Oxford shipowners as well . All the places where one can sit and read are vertically below AC vents/ducts/a technical name has just given me a miss. And when you have been roaming in the rains since the morning, a part of your clothing tends to be wet.Beneath AC wet wet cloths, Deadly combination.

I call HIM again. HE is still not free and since it is raining heavily. HE advices me to go home, effortlessly adding that we will meet tomorrow. Nalay. ( In reverse order Arundhati, chose to end her novel). Oops now i remember, a post on Kochu Thombam for long is in my mind. Hum honge Kamyab 1 Din.

When tomorrow cometh, Mumbai Drowneth.
I no go to Napean Sea Road.
Neither to Office. Nor to HIM
And HE and i donth meet.

Hurray.

From here SANITY :

A Thousand Splendid Suns is a good read. A decent one. And just like Family Matters bombed on the backdrop of A Fine Balance,in spite of being a good read, So i think The Kite Runner will also ruin a decently written book.

Hundred years of solitude is and continues to remain a bouncer. A grim reminder that Never read Nobel prize winner's Books.(Forget bouncer, Geetanjali actually was a non starter, 3 pages was all I could manage, No, i am not a patriot.) Still some googling and there is some clarity on what Marquez is trying to say.And i am trying to read it.

Shantaram was splendid. I still go back and just pick up any chapter and read the last paragraph.And every time , there is Bliss.

My Fav Quotes : I was interested in everything but committed to nothing.
And. The only cause I have is my freedom.

1 comment:

Kris said...
This comment has been removed by the author.

Followers