Wednesday, September 02, 2009

Manufacturing Enthusiasm

Japan elected a new head of state recently, so did Pakistan some time back when Mussharaf was ousted. Though I abstain from the TV media, but I do follow news here and there on the web, mostly world news.

A friend asked me long time back, what movies do I watch, I gave a snob of a reply, mostly english,I said. He smirked and told me, what's the difference between english and hindi. I just shrugged my shoulders, below my tastes.

Similarly, I follow world politics and have no idea of local politics. Apparently deshmukh may not be the chief minister of Maharastra, these days. How would I know, neither does economist nor the guardian cover that kind of news.

Snob is the word.

So, when one looks at the governments changing and nations being swept by waves of enthusiasm, one wonders, for what are they so happy, don't they know that in two years time all of them would be cursing the new elect. But the rest of the world is not as smart and nihilistic as I may be. So they celebrate, dance, rejoice. Hope, for a better tomorrow. And convert their hope into dreams and a pseudo reality.

And their dreams first crackle, then crack and finally are crushed.

Similar is the case with start ups, when one is founding one or becoming a part of one in the initial days, there is a lot of joy, hope and dreams. Mostly, the same fate awaits them as the vox- populi in a government change.

Chomsky talks about manufacturing consent, I wonder what are his views on Murdoch jr.'s tirade against BBC. Free economy and free speech are something chomsky seems to have debunked long time back, but I am unaware about his views on private media, other than them being used as a medium to construct public opinion, something he calls manufacturing consent.

There was this book, which was helping me stay inside shopper's stop the other day, bless crossword for opening a store there, it compared Mckinsey to jesuits. The founding principle of firm which was on client confidentiality, just like law firms, how four in five McKinsey joiners would leave in 5 years time only to occupy the top posts in some of the biggest companies etc. And other day I was browsing through the newly launched harley davidson, another snob product, india website, and bingo the head of india was a McKinsey veteran.

No comments:

Followers