Friday, September 04, 2009

Five years of graduation - A reflection part 1

It is more than five years , since I graduated. Though this may not call for anything, but I will still spend some time on my reflections, learnings and failures. Also experiences. In terms of statistics,

Jobs worked in, ( Including for the self) - 6
SL ,HBL, MS, MBS, SEPL,TF

Sectors worked in - 5
Engineering, Banking, Outsourcing(KPO) , Education, Entertainment

Net Worth: Assets-Liabilities: not much, say the average amount my peers who are doing well earn in a month

Timeline

May 2004-Kanyakumari, Rameshwaram, Madurai, Kodaikanal - with family

July 5th 2004- First job , SL, Mumbai

Aug 2004- Nashik for one month, on shop floor during first job. Come back for a meeting in the middle of monsoons in a cab in inclement weather, a very dangerous drive I have had ever, from Nashik to Mumbai. Few railway tracks have been swept off to god knows where in that very terrain. Miss a landslide by a whisker, see the biggest traffic jam of my life. And it does not stop raining.

Sep-Nov 2004: Preparation for CAT, made a set of rules for the self, will not call any friend and speak, will not go to movies, will not waste any time. My schedule during these four months was something like below, with some exaggeration:

4:30 AM : wake up and study till 6
6:45 AM: Buy three newspapers everyday and catch the bus in Dombivili
5:15 PM: Leave office, complete reading the three papers in the bus.
6:45 PM : Reach home, take some rest
7:30 to 9 : Study
9 to 10 : tv and dinner
10 to 11:30 - 12 : study and then sleep.

Weekends: Mock test and more study, we worked for six days a week, i think.

I could think this up because five years back i had done something similar for IIT preparation, I did that for around a year. There were times when I did doze off in bus due to exhaustion, the only phase in my life when I have slept while in a sitting position.

March 2004: Got confirmation from B school A of final offer.
Happily went into PI for B school B, was very jovial and careless in this PI, since already had an offer, told that to the panel also.
Few days later school A said, there was a technical problem, actually I haven't made it
School B made me a final offer. I joined school B. Later I had other 2 confirmations from two other B schools for final offer, and I did not attend PI of two more. I did not get through one other.

I have had difficulties with PI all my life. Why do people ask rhetoric and stupid questions?

March 2005: quit my job with 3 day notice period.

July 2005 : Join School B, for two roller coaster years

During these two years

Go to a fort near pune for a 7 KM one side trek
Visit Mulshi, Kanheri caves neat lonavala as part of rotaract picnic
visit sibm and mica in cultural fests, don't win anything
visit mahabaleshwar, and nearby town, forgetting its name
go to goa with b.e. college friends new year 2005/6
go to goa again after placements with mba friends jan 2007
do a summers spread over mumbai, pune, wapi, surat,baroda and Ahmedabad. Baroda is the best city.

4 comments:

Mansi said...

How years fly by....the B-school preparation days can never be forgotten...Mocks, Newspapers, GD's with friends etc....nice reading your post.

Take a Hike said...

thanks

:)

dhaval said...

i dint know nashik ride was so dangerous, you are a surviver :)

Anonymous said...

hey mate we are waiting for the next part....

Followers