Sunday, January 10, 2010

The old man and the sea

There was this video I was watching for the nth time. It's there in my orkut profile, where two really old men are having a casual discussion.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coffee_and_Cigarettes

So ther is this one man who is talking about Nikolas Tesla, stating that Tesla postulated that this earth is one big magnet.

The other old man is of artistic bent, he recalls some opera song he had heard and I guess recalls New York or some old city of the 1920's.

The men seem to be opposites.
I am lost to the world
with which I used to waste so much time,
It has heard nothing from me for so long
that it may very well believe that I am dead!

It is of no consequence to me
Whether it thinks me dead;
I cannot deny it,
for I really am dead to the world.

I am dead to the world's tumult,
And I rest in a quiet realm
I live alone in my heaven,
In my love and in my song!

( Translated from German, the opera song which is referenced in the video)

____________________________________________________

I am doing my HSC from a government junior college and the math professor is this uber cool dude, on the verge of his retirement, with his from two tooth missing, just like the character from the movie, Adaptation.

He in known to be of a free will and eccentric. He calls a parameter, a perraiya while teaching mathematics.

Someone stands up in the class and questions about positive infinity. Some one else chirps in with negative infinity and this professor looses his cool, he says, there is nothing called positive infinity and negative infinity, there is just one infinity.

I shrug him off.
____________________________________________________

I am reading this book, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Dancing_Wu_Li_Masters . I at times read books in a random order. I just open up a book, and start reading from which ever page came up and up to the end of the chapter. I close the book and repeat this process again.

I read Earnest Hemingway's A farewell to Arms that way. I have read Alchemist thrice. Once the other way round, backwards starting from the last chapter.

And then this dude sums up Einstein's (Special) Theory of relativity by summarising that there is nothing called mass. There are not two things's mass and energy. Mass is also a form of energy.

It's all energy.

___________________________________________________________
Two old men are sitting on a Beach. Let's say, Arambol.

Both of them walked out of a corporate career. Both started their ventures. Once succeeded, the other failed, in the conventional sense of the words, success and failure.

One is sitting on a private beach he bought out from the money he made. The other is sitting on a public, though deserted beach.

Nassim Nicholas Taleb, I guess has used the word stoicism somewhere.

____________________________________________

And then, the penny dropped. It took me n attempts, where n tends to infinity, which one, the positive or the negative . :)

No comments:

Followers