Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Breaking wood

So finally I have a kulhadi and hathoda. And a small log of wood. And I broke it with the help of a 8-10 year old kiddo, in my home in Mumbai. All the while my mother yelling at me to leave doing it. And then she said, just do what you want to do, I am leaving.

And she still did not leave. Mothers, I tell you. I asked her finally , what do you want. She just doesn't want me to hurt myself. And I though I was an old man.

The process of breaking the wood is difficult and should not be undertaken without adult supervision. A pair of glasses can be helpful, as no mathematician has come up with the equation of a particle in three dimension, when a chisel of varying sharpness makes contact with dry wood, with knots. So you never know which piece is coming out and in which direction.

My latest resolution. Follow Damodaran's classes on corporate finance over next few months here.

For those who do not know Damodaran, he writes books in finance which my buddies in MBA use to rave about. At least they pretended. And since I did not as much as touch them, I could not say if they understood anything or not. We had all touched this great wave where everybody was doing an MBA from a top notch school, so an adequate amount of BS was usually assumed in any claim.

Nevertheless, I listened to the first damodaran's lecture on Valuation from here:http://academicearth.org/ and found it infinitely interesting and fun. So I guess, I will bite. Because, the dude seems fun and not because he has written a few books.

More video lesson/thought sites are : http://bigthink.com/ and http://fora.tv/

Book of the moment: Portrait of a director : Satyajit Ray by Marie Seton. The eastest I have traveled is hyderabad, I do not understand the language spoken in Bongland, and I haven't seen any of Ray's work.

So I guess there is a trifle of an irony there.

I am also trying to understand what on hell is the principle of fair play. I have downloaded some document from scribd by some one called simmons. Will read it at ease.

No comments:

Followers