Monday, May 28, 2007

Nanna.

He always brought barfi from Kewal Halwai, whenever he came to meet us. In Secunderabad or Mumbai.

Whenever i went to jhansi, he made sure some food for me was always prepared differently in accordance with my eating habits.Sometimes just dal rice, otherwise bread with tea for breakfast.

He took me along with him on his morning and evening walks. Sometimes in morning we went to leher ki devi. Once we went near a hill, he sat down, while i climbed up the hillock along with a few cousins. While coming down, i discovered that ,sometimes you run faster than your fastest best and cannot stop under any circumstances.

The evening walks sometimes doubled up as vegetable buying trips.

He took me to a hair cutting saloon once. While coming back i wanted to buy a lottery ticket for 2 bucks, the prize for the same being about 100 bucks. He did not allow me to buy it.He said the point is not that it is just for 2 bucks, but i don't want you to get into this habbit.

He once yelled at me for going to a cousin's house. I came back to his house after 2 spending 2 days at orcha.

Whenever we had to take dakhsin or AP express from jhansi, both in the middle of the night, he always woke us up.

He never yelled at me for hiding his small tobacco box.But use to be pretty cross at me whenever i expressed a desire to taste the tobacco.

He always asked ,whenever i met him after a long time, how is rajkumari ?(my mother) . But rarely cared to ask he how is my dad? , his son.

He lost his father when he was 3, went to school upto 2nd standard. He started working very early in his life in a mill in indore. He later came back to Jhansi, and became an engine driver in Railways.he use to say it was so easy to get a job those days. He was once just sitting there and someone came and asked will you drive a locomotive for a job? And he got a job.

From what little i recall, he always wrote to us in sec'bad on a post card. In his typical handwriting.

He loved playing cards. His favorite free time activity. He always beat me at rummy and dehla pakad. He also had games he could play alone.

Nanna, my grandfathar expired yesterday. This is in celebration of his life. The Bond we had. And what we shared.

2 comments:

nina said...

im glad you got a chance to write this down. it wasnt something i could do. that you know someone like the person you described is worth celebrating.

tropical seagull said...

poignant

Followers