Saturday, January 22, 2011

Public mai sansani , ek baar

From Wiki

stereotype is a held popular belief about specific social groups or types of individuals. The concepts of "stereotype" and "prejudice" are often confused with many other different meanings. Stereotypes are standardized and simplified conceptions of groups based on some prior assumptions.

When a kid grow up those around the kid, mostly his parents and relatives start stereotyping him/her like 
  • He yells like hell 
  • She is of quieter type
  • He has no interest in business
  • Whatever he tries he fails
etc.

From these stereotypes and our own experiences about life, good or bad, emerge ideas like
  • He has to be fixed. Like fix a job, a marriage etc.
  • He has to complete his education, he has no mind for business
So when one is on the other side, say on the inside/ receiving end of these ideas, one generally revolts. Trying to assert otherwise, and in the process helping to strengthen the stereotype. And the ideas that come are

  • Why can't people leave me alone
  • Why not just allow me to learn from my life and keep me out of your prejudiced viewpoint
And life turns into a melange of these ideas, jumping from one to another. Sometimes, me stereotyping people, at other times trying to fight the stereotype that has been fixed like Samuel Taylor Coleridge would have called it, an albatross. 
_________________________________________________________

Ryan Bingham: [on getting through airport security] Never get behind old people. Their bodies are littered with hidden metal and they never seem to appreciate how little time they have left. Bingo, Asians. They pack light, travel efficiently, and they have a thing for slip on shoes. Gotta love 'em.
Natalie Keener: That's racist.
Ryan Bingham: I'm like my mother, I stereotype. It's faster. 




_________________________________________________________

Ryan Bingham: I thought I was a part of your life.
Alex Goran: I thought we signed up for the same thing... I thought our relationship was perfectly clear. You are an escape. You're a break from our normal lives. You're a parenthesis.
Ryan Bingham: I'm a parenthesis? 

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Natalie Keener: Can you stop condescending for one second or is that one of the principles of your bullshit philosophy?

Take a Hike said...

Touche

I stand beaten.

Anonymous said...

:)

Take a Hike said...

@anon

why anonymous?

do I know you, that's why.
or otherwise.

Followers