Monday, July 13, 2009

Fitzgerald again

I finally read , the great gatsby by Scott F Fitzgerald.

In a way it was boring and a letdown for me, but for this super last paragraph, which I quote here.

I wanted to read this ever since I read a few letters to his daughter, which his daughter had published and found their way into some American literature book, which was selling at a footpath for peanuts, say 5 years back.

Gatsby believed in the green light, the orgastic future that year by year recedes before us. It eluded us then, but that's no matter- to-morrow we will run faster, stretch out our arms farther.... And one fine morning-
So we beat on, boats against the currents, borne back ceaselessly into the past.

To juxtapose, something from clerks 2.

Dante Hicks: Why *do* the Go-Karts help?
Randal Graves: I don't know. They just remind me of a better time in my life.
Dante Hicks: Like when?
Randal Graves: Like when we were young and the world was still in front of us.
Dante Hicks: We're not that old.
Randal Graves: Yeah. But, sometimes I get the feeling the world kinda left us behind a long time ago.
Dante Hicks: You know, you can do something about that.

Touché.

No comments:

Followers